Your garage door can open and close up to 20 times a day depending on how busy the day is. It’s important to take care of it on a regular basis to keep it running smoothly and a little bit of care will make a big difference in the long run. Your garage door will not only look better, but it will provide you with a door that will last longer and save money if you don’t need to replace it sooner than needed.
Garage Door Cleaning & Maintenance Tips
1. Garage Door Appearance. Take some mild soap mixed with water and use a soft bristle brush to clean it. Do not use strong cleaners that might damage the paint or lead to delamination of the surface. Steel doors can look like new again by applying a car wax and will protect the door from dust and acid rain. Try not to do it in direct sunlight to get better results. Exposed wood can be repainted.
2. Garage Door Hardware Maintenance. The tracks, rollers and hinges along with all the moving hardware parts need to be lubricated with a little bit of motor oil every three months. Be sure to wipe off any excess oil with a cloth and use the same oil on the springs to make them last longer. This will also help cut down on the noise the springs will make when the door is moving. There are things that should be done each year.
* The adjustment and sturdiness of the hinges.
* Check the rollers to look for worn-out ball bearings, flattened rollers and crooked rods
* Check the tracks for premature wear and tear and loose bolts and/or support.
* The cables need to be inspected for wear and tear. Take special notice around the pulleys and the lower support.
3. Exterior Garage Door Weather Stripping. The weather-stripping needs to be inspected and cleaned around the frame and the bottom edge. Use an all-purpose cleaner and lubricate it every 2 to 3 months with a silicone-based lubricant to keep it pliable. Do not use petroleum-based lubricants on the weather-stripping because it will cause it to dry up and lead to cracking. Make sure the weather-stripping hangs ½” below the base of the door when you’re done adjusting it. If it’s too tight the door won’t work properly. You need to replace it if it’s lost its flexibility.
4. Grease Garage Door Opener. You can put some white grease on the operator track, but make sure you clean it first. Oiling the moving parts will also reduce the noise that the motor will cause. If the door is still too noisy and not to your liking, you can have nylon rollers installed to help with noise.
Garage Door Inspection, Maintenance & More in Las Vegas, Summerlin, North LV & Henderson Nevada
Test the balance of the door periodically to make sure the door is moving smoothly and after any repairs or adjustments check the safety feature that causes the door to open should something get in the way when it’s closing. Get a yearly tune-up. Your garage door is the biggest moving part of your home. By scheduling an inspection, you have a professional garage door technician to spot any issues you might be having that you may be unaware of. Call Quality Garage Door Repair to schedule an appointment today.